Evaluate the Online Dating Profile (OkCupid)

It’s been a while since we’ve had one of these.

The following profile is from OkCupid (www.okcupid.com). What works for you? What doesn’t? What needs improvement? What is perfect the way it is?

My self-summary
At work I’m a “dress-up” type of guy; button down shirts, ties (where else am I going to wear them?). At home/off-the-clock I’m a jeans, t-shirt and occasional hat type of guy.

During the actual work week I am somewhat of a homebody. I’m a big TV/movie person so I enjoy using that medium to decompress and relax. Plus, the variety of characters and stories inspire and intrigue me.

I’m not the type to sleep in (even on weekends). Typically, I’m the most productive early in the morning. And by productive sometimes it means I’ll start a load of laundry and then kick back on the couch while watching TV, other times I’ll go out for a long run and take care of errands (all before lunch).

My typical weekend usually consists of going to Panera, enjoying a coffee and a cobblestone, and either working on my computer (writing) or reading a book.

I’m moving into a new apartment within the next month that allow pets; thus opening the door to fulfilling the dream of being a dog owner again after nearly 12 years.

What I’m doing with my life
The bulk of it revolves around my considerations for a career change and the best way to go about making those “dreams” a reality. If I had to name the “perfect” situation, I would love to have my own coffee shop/bakery (pseudo-diner).

In the meantime, I keep occupied with friends, family and hobbies; photography, writing, running.

I’m really good at
Cooking and baking. My co-workers get the most benefit from this and they are eternally grateful (most of the time). One of them even paid me a $1 for a chocolate bacon home-made brownie once.

The first things people usually notice about me
Too cliche to say eyes and smile?

Most people say I have a very distinct laugh and after talking to me they will usually comment on how welcoming and easy I am to talk to.

Favorite books, movies, shows, music and food
I have been a faithful Dean Koontz reader for years but occasionally throw in a James Patterson or memoir for good measure from time to time.

Horror and comic book flicks are my over-all favorites. If you have the privilege of knowing me during October I usually try to have numerous ‘horror’ nights and screenings.

While I don’t watch an alarming number of shows I can very easily be sucked into a story-line with little effort. Looking back I seem to be a following Nathan Fillion’s career (Buffy, Firefly, Drive, Castle). I don’t watch many comedic sitcoms; and I’ll give any show a fair shake if it involves mystery or a supernatural element.

I’m a foodie. I love food and coming up with my own variations on recipes.

The six things I could never do without
My niece and nephew are going to be considered a single unit, now that I know them I don’t ever want my life to be without them.

The dog I will eventually adopt.

My legs. (because I like running)

My multitude of cameras.

The option between warm or iced coffee.

Music. It simply inspires. Any moment can become amplified with the right song.

I spend a lot of time thinking about
Future photography/video/writing projects.

Currently I’m trying to finish editing a short comedy I shot a couple summers back. Then, I’m considering looking for people to collaborate with to begin writing a short movie musical.

The most private thing I’m will to admit
When I go into Toys R Us (shopping for my niece or nephew) I can usually find things I want…and sometimes walk out with.

I’m looking for
*Girls who like guys
*Ages 26–34
*Near me
*Who are single
*For new friends, short-term dating, activity partners

You should message me if
…you’re simply looking to meet someone new. I’m not particularly looking for anything really serious on the relationship front right now but am always welcome to meeting, talking and experiencing new things with new people. My perspective is relationships, worthwhile relationships, take time to build and grow. They all need to begin somewhere right?

8 thoughts on “Evaluate the Online Dating Profile (OkCupid)

[I like it. It’s simple, things are spelled and punctuated correctly (I found two grammar errors in the sentence about moving to a new place, though). I just have two minor suggestions: first, try to shorten the first section. I like that it’s not just one big paragraph—because when I see those, I generally either skip them or read them really, really quickly, but you don’t need to go into the details of “weekday you” and “weekend you”. If you really want, you can move some of that info to the “on a typical Friday…” section.

The second thing is I might change the “if you have the privilege of knowing me during October” bit. I can’t tell whether it’s sarcastic or serious. In your profile, you’re coming off as a good guy who cares about his family and generally has his act together, so you don’t want to possibly screw that up with a misconstrued word that makes you seem cocky.

[I like it. Although it seems a little odd that you’re very first sentence was about how you dress. If I had been looking at this for a date, I might have thought you were slightly pretentious. Until I kept reading, of course.

I also agree with HP’s comment about amending the “privilege” comment.

Really though, if you can keep them hooked until the bacon brownie bit, you’re set.

3. karlos says:

[The future dog you’re going to adopt needs a name. That shows people you’re forward planning and also that you love future animals. Women like guys who like future animals.

[I myself don’t think your profile is too long. I enjoy reading details, and I honestly don’t think yours is too detailed. Maybe you could cut some of it out, but I wouldn’t cut too much. I’d rather read a too full profile than a too empty one. I like it overall!! Except I did also find a grammar error like HP.

5. Bonita says:

[I just joined OKC this week, and if all I knew of you was a picture and stats in a list, I probably wouldn’t read your profile in its entirety due to its length and wordiness. Your information is attractive and humanizing, but if you could find a way to eliminate the redundancy and provide more of a snapshot than a diary, it would hook my interest more. The specificity also eliminates my go to “in” which is to ask a question about something intriguing I see in a profile (ie- if you only listed your legs as one of the things you couldn’t live without, I would ask about it but since you explained it I’d have nothing to say in an email).

[I enjoyed it! It feels very “real” to me. Most of the time, the online profiles are just a huge brag session and that gets old. But you were very open about who you are and I think that will be attractive to others. Well done.

The one thing I felt slightly confused on was that you stated you didn’t watch much TV, but then later on it seemed like you were saying that you did enjoy TV. I guess there isn’t anything wrong with that…it just read a little funny to me. I suppose you can not watch much TV, but enjoy it all at the same time.

I don’t agree with the others who said you shouldn’t start out with the “dress up” versus “dress down” opening. Maybe bacon brownies should be the second thing you mention? I think it works well because it isn’t really just about the way you dress. It’s about the type of person you are. You are saying that there is a time and place to be dressy and professional and a time and place to chill out. Which says to me that while you are goal-oriented and serious about your career, you can come home and leave it at the door. This is very important in a relationship.

7. Jacs77 says:

[The profile shows that you are serious about finding someone for companionship and possibly more. I will say that the clothing comment right away is certainly nice to know, however something that maybe should be left for seeing in person? Unless you are truly worried that your date doesn`t know how to dress for the proper occasion?

I enjoy reading a dating profile where it shows the individuals sense of humour, their commitment to the site ( which is usually a good character indicator) and allows me to see the person for who they are. I like seeing a sense of openess ( allowing us to possibly start conversation about why you`ve been dogless for 12years, or how you started running) and it certainly seems to be someone that I would msg! Good luck 🙂