“Is he keeping another dating option open?”

They’ve been dating for two months, and she’s suspicious of his female best friend. Given their stories below, what do you think?

Nick says:

Sarah and I have been in a relationship for about 2 months. Going into the relationship, I told her that my best friend in the world is another woman. This other woman and I are closer than brother and sister. My girlfriend thinks that it is rude and disrespectful of me to be so intimate with another woman, but I think that she only thinks that because she is afraid that I’m not loyal to her, which I find insulting.

Sarah says:

Nick and I have been dating for the last 2 months. I love him dearly, but I get the feeling that his friend loves him as much as I do. I fear that she will try to seduce Nick and take him away from me. Nick disagrees, but I’ve seen the way she looks at him, and I’m not too happy about how Nick looks back. I think that if a man is truly loyal, he only needs one woman in his life. I’m not anywhere near as close to any men as I am with Nick, but he is worryingly close to this woman. Am I at fault for asking him not to keep another dating option open?

5 thoughts on ““Is he keeping another dating option open?”

1. Anonymous says:

I’ve heard some people argue that a man and a woman can never be best friends, because romance, sex, and whatnot will always get in the way. Personally, I have seen that happen on more than one occasion.

I would ask Nick if he would be comfortable with Sarah having a very close best friend who was a guy.

I think it would be tough to balance.

2. Anonymous says:

I have a rule that anyone who would ask me to give up my friends for them is not worth my time. So the way I see it, you have two options here: accept his best friend or don’t date him. Telling him to stop being friends with someone he’s very close to is an awful way to start a relationship and honestly is selfish. You’d be causing real pain to two innocent people because of your own insecurities. Maybe she IS into him, but that doesn’t mean he’s not allowed to be friends with her and it doesn’t mean they’re going to do anything to disrespect your relationship. Besides, if it’d be so easy to just be with her, and he wanted to be, he would be already.

3. Anonymous says:

You know the first thing abusive relationships you should look out for is when they start dictating who you can be friends with. Abusive boy and girlfriends will cut the victims off from friends and family. Therapy might help Sarah, because nothing Nick says will make her feel less insecure since he’s already reassured her. Even if said friend does have a crush on Nick that doesn’t mean he’ll go for her, or he wouldn’t have chose Sarah.

I’d say this is a simple matter of trust. Sarah, do you trust that Nick only thinks of this woman as a friend?

If you do … great! This is a friend Nick’s known far longer than you, so you’ll have to accept that they have a (platonic) relationship outside of yours and his.

If you don’t … well, then chances are, this relationship isn’t going to work out, anyway. So you might as well cut your losses now.

5. sarah says:

I was in a similar situation last year may when i started suspecting my Husband was cheating. so i hired a private detective/hacker to spy into my husband email, facebook, photos on his phone and whatsapp . i will recommend you follow my foot step. you can contact the detective/hacker via mail at charlescyberwiz@gmail.com !! You can let him know that it was sarah that refereed you.