What would you sacrifice?

Ok, so I’ve been watching a lot of 24 lately… and I just got to the episode where the POTUS would not authorize the killing of a terrorist’s children in order to find the location of a nuclear bomb.

So I’m wondering, at what point does your sacrificial lamb get to grow into a sheep? Would you sacrifice your relationship for a job? Your job for a marriage? What about the relationships with your family? Would you leave them to be with a significant other? Is there anything that you would absolutely NEVER sacrifice, no matter the price?

Would you be able to kill a child to save a million lives?

12 thoughts on “What would you sacrifice?

1. DavidIsGreat says:

[I’ve left my parents and brothers for my wife.

I would without hesitation take a life if someone hurt my kids.

2. Dave Jag says:

[Jobs come and go, but a soul mate is forever. If you are convinced that is what you have found, let nothing stand in your way. Never sacrifice them, but always be prepared to sacrifice yourself for their safety.

3. Captain Planet says:

[If the relationship is right, you wont sacrifice it for your OWN needs. At least i wouldnt. I have my dream job (game tester for Blizzard) waiting for me in Texas. Babe wont move since all his friends, family, and band are here. The only school in the area for a degree in the only other dream job i can get in this area is 2 hours away. He wont move that far either. So instead i found a entry level job i love, where the most i will ever make is $15 an hour, and maybe someday go to a college for a different career i am not so passionate about, just so i can be with him. Its sad though, that i honestly dont know, after over 3 years, if i said “i’m moving, are you coming with me?” if he would come. I’m giving up a possibly great future, and i’m not sure how much he would give up for me… DAMN YOU RES!!! Now i’m irked!

But yes, i would club baby seals to cure any type of cancer, i would kill a child of any age (as long as they couldnt fight back. i’m weak and clumsy) to save even 1,000 lives, and what i want in my career future to be with the man i love. BUT i wouldnt sacrifice Lemonvibe for ANYTHING!!!

[That’s a Star Trek lesson, res! The needs of the many always outweigh the needs of the one.

[It would depend entirely on the relationship, the job, the friends, the location, etc. I’m too selfish to give up integral parts of my life for one person.

And anyone I would have to give up my family for is not someone I’d give up anything even less important than my family for, so that’s not even an issue.

6. PKP says:

[I might actually destroy this entire world for my wife. Or at least the majority of it. True love turns us into selfish horrifying monsters is what I’m saying.

7. Kier says:

[The most important and meaningful things that we do in our lives are the ties and relationships that we form with others. I would never sacrifice that for a job.

However– my dream job would require that I move to California, which is 3,000 miles away (I’m on the east coast of the U.S.). I could move away from my family for that, but not the love of my life. The good news is, she would go with me.

8. Maracuya says:

[This is something I think about. My boyfriend’s in the military which means if we stayed together, we’d probably have an 1) interesting and 2) unstable life. My career is fairly portable and getting a government job would probably help me out tremendously but the whole situation makes my life definitely more difficult. We’ve been pretty good about talking about solutions together (my moving, him not voluntarily taking any overseas assignments, getting my input for where he chooses to go, etc) and his commitment to work together makes me feel much better about everything.

9. theattack says:

[As far as relationships go, I’ll sacrifice stuff in my life for the right person as long as I know they would sacrifice those things for me too. This year I’ll be sacrificing grad school temporarily so I can live in the same city as my boyfriend. This is done with an understanding that he’ll be moving back to the mountains with me so I can go back to school in a few years.

He’s planning on sacrificing some big bachelor-type adventures (think: testing his survival skills in Siberia) so we can build a life together, and I’ll probably sacrifice a lot of career-potential so we can have children together. Those are things both of us were adamant against before we found each other.

So, it’s about matching commitments and degrees of willingness to sacrifice, and it’s about the right person in relationships.