What would you do for love?

If you were to look at my bookshelf you’d notice a few things. One would probably be that there are way too many toys for an adult. Another would be that 85% of the books are all by the same author; Dean Koontz.

Though a large number of his novels dip into the fantastic themes of the supernatural, extraterrestrial, or genetic research; others do deal with more “realistic” themes of obsessed murders, psychological conditions and glorified drama.

If anything, one thing I have always appreciate from his work are the characters. You can identify with them, one way or another. Whether the story is about a short order cook who can see the dead, a scrabble playing smart dog, or a pair of New Orleans detectives chasing Victor Frankenstein; you still find some way to connect.

One of Dean’s more realistic story-lines comes from a book titled ‘The Husband’. In this story the life of an ordinary gardener, Mitch, is turned upside-down when his wife is kidnapped. Her abductors have given Mitch 60 hours to come up with $2 millions dollars and they will give her back.

This is a story about how far you’ll go for love. What are your limits? Is there anything that could stop you from protecting someone you love?

Mitch is someone we all can relate to on one level or another. He’s like an every-man. He isn’t some uber-cop. He isn’t specially trained in arm-to-arm combat. He doesn’t have super powers. He is just a man who loves his wife.

So, I pose the same similar questions to you dear Lemonvibers. How far do you think you’d be willing to go for love? Be it platonic, familial, or romantic. Has your love for someone ever been tested?

If so, we want to hear your story.

6 thoughts on “What would you do for love?

[Yes, I completely agree with everyone thus far…this is a pretty loaded question since it largely depends on “playing the hypothetical”…and to be honest I hate hypothetical questions because as AKchic said we probably never really know how we’ll react until actually IN that situation.

However, I think an interesting dynamic to this kind of question isn’t so much the answers any of us reply with but what this question makes us think about ourselves? Asking those hard questions like, “What would I do if…?” and considering it between a life-or-death situation of a stranger against a loved one.

There are two ways most of us probably view situations:
    1.) How we would react/respond
    2.) How we wish we could react/respond

2. theattack says:

[I think all of us who have ever loved anyone has had that love tested. Maybe our loved ones aren’t being held ransom for money we don’t have, but we’re faced with choices every day. It could be that you stood up for your friend in front of the rest of your junior high class who called her slutty, or maybe you used half a vacation day to pick up your daughter from school because she started her period and doesn’t have any clean clothes.

I can’t think of a specific time that my love for anyone has been tested outside of normal, everyday circumstances (like turning away super hot guys after a fight with my bf, or taking care of my mom while she’s sick). But I feel like I would do most anything for my fiance, short of killing my other loved ones, and I would do a hell of a lot for my close family members and friends. I would definitely kill many people, become a prostitute, sell drugs, steal, etc. No questions asked.

[Ooh, good question. Tough to answer, but good question….

This reminds me of a bit I heard on the radio station a few weeks back. The DJ was talking about how his wife likes to ask him these loaded questions about love. And one of them was, “Would you die for me?”

Well, he (and I agree with him) always thought that was as ridiculous question to ask, so he finally came up with the perfect response:

“Honey, I’d rather live for you.”

Awesome, huh?

So, to answer your question, I’m an uber-pragmatist. I do believe in love, but I do not believe that true love knows no bounds. I’d like to think I’d go pretty far for love. But, I draw the line at staying rational and reasonable. So Missy, if you ever ask me to kill someone for you, don’t count on it.

Well, unless it’s someone I already despise. Cuz then I’d be… ahem, killing two birds with one stone, so that’s all good then.

Alright, fine. Who do you want killed?

[Really? This thing’s been up a whole day, and no one’s mentioned Meatloaf yet? For shame, lemonvibers… FOR SHAME.

5. AKchic says:

[I always think this kind of question is loaded. Personally, unless it’s actually happening, I don’ t think you can ever know exactly what you’re willing to do. And you’re talking to someone who has stared down the business end of more than one gun to end an abusive marriage.

Of course… I’m not adverse to helping dig another grave or two if needed.

6. Sparrow says:

[I agree that you can’t truly know until you’re in that situation, though some life experiences – if you’ve had them – could be indicators of your actions.

I think I’ve actually been through some harrowing experiences that, while they don’t qualify for Koontz material, are a bit beyond the normal. I grew up in a sometimes physically abusive home, I was very seriously injured when I was 6 years old in a horrible accident that I won’t detail, there have been other accidents since, and from those very real, gritty experiences, I know that I react calmly and actively in emergency situations. I don’t panic and I don’t freeze up. I spring into action, especially when I see people in danger.
    Even if I’m the one who is hurt, I keep my shit together and worry more about the people around me and why they’re freaking out. (I guess a lot of that is shock though.) I’ve placed myself between people fighting and threatened bodily harm against another, though I’ve never had to carry through. Well, there was this one time, but that was at school. I just socked a kid in the stomach a little for harassing me, but it wasn’t really warranted, and I regret it. Anyway.

Surprisingly, putting one’s self at risk more often involves verbal interaction than physical, which can backfire and then cause you to catch the aggressor’s ire. You can’t be afraid to speak up. In college, I had a class in which there was a super creepy guy who would sit right next to girls, and only girls. This was in a very large class with plenty of extra seating, so that most people usually left seats open between them (the seats were tiny and it was nice to have the extra room anyway). But this guy would sit right next to you, say strange things, and lean in towards you. One time he did this to me, and he even touched my arm. I said, very loudly for everyone else to hear, “Do NOT touch me. EVER.” I then got up and moved. I got appreciative looks from the other women, and I don’t think that guy was as creepy after that, thank god.

My nieces were kind of kidnapped (and recovered) last summer. I went with my sister to the city where the grandparents had secreted away the girls. It was a trying time. We didn’t have to do anything drastic – just lots of phone calls to the police department to keep them on top of the case because they weren’t taking it as seriously (apparently grandparents not agreeing to give back your children isn’t a big deal to the Galveston PD). But I *knew*, I could feel it in my bones, that I would do anything to get my nieces back. Definitely my sister would have.

But pretty much all of my reactions have been automatic. I didn’t realize what I had done until after it was over. So it’s true – you can’t know how you’ll react until you find yourself there. If you freeze or panic, then I guess all you can do is hope you don’t make things worse or that you snap out of it. You should never blame yourself though. I would hate to ever be considered a “hero” for an automatic response that turned out great, or a wimp for not acting.

Hypothetically, I think I would go as far as putting my life in danger for even strangers, so definitely for loved ones. It’s just dumb reaction and a propensity for bad risk assessment. “I can totally hold his weight/make it through this fire/swim out there/outrun this bear/wrangle that snake…”